Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nomesick, There's No Place Like Nome, Nomegrown, etc.

Today I am feeling a little homesick for Nome. I grew up in such a unique place and there are just some things that I miss about it like the fishing, Alaskan king crabs, berry picking, the ocean, the aurora borealis, and the people... namely my family. So I've been spending the morning watching videos from Nome and wanted to share them.

This one is an advertisement to increase tourism. I know most the people in this video.


This one follows journalist Steve Lopez on his trip to Nome. (Steve Lopez is the guy who's story got made into the movie "The Soloist". We watched it on Christmas eve at Bret's parents house and we all gave Jan a hard time for picking such a cheerful movie for us to watch.) I know EVERY PERSON that he interviews. I grew up with their kids. :D


And here's a video from 2008 when Bret, Kien, and I visited with my sister's family. Sean (my brother-in-law) shot the video of my nephew Jeremy catching a fish.


Kim (my sister) posted a bunch of video's on YouTube from Nome if you feel like watching more:
http://www.youtube.com/user/fireweedjelly

5 comments:

Erin said...

sounds like something my mom would do. on halloween she came back from the movie store with "happy valley" in her hands.

Mary said...

I get homesick too... Rob's dying to fish in Alaska. I think it's beautiful there.

aunt jan said...

Enough beating up the poor mom. And I loved seeing the shots of Nome. No wonder you miss it. But we're glad you're in the lower 48 with us!!!

Becca said...

I loved this post! I have been Nomesick for the last few years! We should plan a reunion!! :)

loveland9 said...

Did you delete my comment?

I loved all your video clips. It looks beautiful and it was fun seeing Bret with your family.

I'm not Nome but I AM family. Come see me!!