Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Random Recipe

So I like how other people have reoccurring posts on their blogs like Mary's "Colorblind Chronicles" or Chalise's "Flashback Fridays" so I've decided that my reoccurring post will be "Random Recipe". It's the dish that I've made up or found that adds spice to my regular home menu. This month: Lemongrass Shrimp (I made this one up).Why is it random? We don't have it very often because 1)shrimp is expensive and 2)lemongrass is hard to come by. I can only pick it up when I go up North and hit an Asian grocery store. PS- You can use chicken instead of shrimp if you don't like shrimp or don't want to spend the money on it. The lemongrass gives it a fresh citrus kind of flavor. It is used quite often in Vietnamese cooking.

Lemongrass Shrimp Recipe
  • 3 Stalks of Lemongrass
  • 1/2 cup Oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. Honey
  • 1 Tbsp. Water
  • 1 tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce
  • 1 tsp. or 1 clove of Garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. Chopped Cilantro
  • 1 lb. Raw Shrimp

This is what Lemongrass looks like:Clean lemongrass stalks and discard woody tops and bottoms. Then slice the fleshy middle.Combine all ingredients EXCEPT for shrimp into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.Pour mixture over shelled and deveined shrimp. (You can leave the tails on if you want but then you'll just have to pick them out later so I took them off before adding the sauce.) Mix sauce with the shrimp so they are completely covered. Refrigerate and marinate for at least a 1/2 an hour.Heat a skillet to medium heat and cook shrimp including the sauce in the pan for around 10 minutes or until shrimp is opaque. Serve with a side of rice and a vegetable of your choice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds similar to a recipe in the Vietnamese cook book I sent you.

Lorilee said...

I love the step by step process. I also love how you are going to post recipes. I have to admit, I don't like shrimp, but it sure does look good. I'll keep checking back though. Yummy for your tummy.